Tuesday, June 30, 2009

NECC 09: Bricks and Mortar

We just left a panel discussion entitled: Bricks and Mortar Schools are Detrimental to the Future of Education. The conversation was an hour long debate with for and against moderated by Robert Siegel from NPR's All Things Considered. Each side made compelling arguments about the merits of online vs in person learning. In the end here's my take.

The most important thing I heard today was not about where we learn and teach, but rather how we learn and teach. Learning shouldn't be confined to a specific geographic building, but the building has a special place within our communities which facilitates communication between all people.

As someone who teaches both online and in person I feel there is no comparison with my ability to connect to my students when I am with them in the same location. Sure I can share information and provide instruction through the computer, but I can reach people and impact their lives when I am a part of the in person learning community. Does that mean this same community can't exist online - no, but my experience is there needs to be some type of in person sharing to truly identify with community at some point.

Mitchell and I have had a on going debate about the role of twitter. It exists as an online community where thoughts and ideas are shared, 140 characters at a time. I claim that it is difficult to create lasting friendships when everything exists in cyberspace. He counters that the relationships are just as meaningful as an in person relationship if you open yourself up those involved. A big part of NECC is socializing with our peers. While twitter provides us with an online socialization space, those involved at NECC with twitter had a meet and greet last night - in person. We have an innate desire to know each other and see one another face to face. Schools help facilitate this within our communities.

Online learning isn't going anywhere and I am going to be teaching more and more classes through this mode of delivery. My challenge is to figure out how I can bring the skills I possess as an in person instructor to the online world.

No comments:

Post a Comment